With the year coming to a close, it’s time to look forward to the movies coming out in 2019. This is my personal preference of the most anticipated movies next year so if you disagree with the order, throw your opinions in the comment section. Here are some honorable mentions and then the top 10.
Honorable Mentions: Glass, The Lego Movie: The Second Part, Dumbo, Shazam, It: Chapter 2, Frozen 2
10. Captain Marvel (March 8th): In what will be the first female led movie in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, Captain Marvel will introduce, well Captain Marvel. Brie Larson stars as Carol Danvers and Samuel L. Jackson returns once again as Nick Fury. After being teased in Infinity War, Captain Marvel has a lot to live up too.
9. John Wick: Chapter 3 (May 17th): With what started out as a tiny little action movie, John Wick has turned into a very popular franchise. Keanu Reeves is back as the legendary hit-man on the run after the events of Chapter 2. Halle Berry joins the cast along with (this is not a typo) LA Clippers’ center Boban Marjanovic. MORE BOBAN FOR EVERYONE!
8. Once Upon A Time In Hollywood (July 26th): Whenever Quentin Tarantino has a new movie coming out, it’s safe to say the anticipation is high. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood is a mystery crime thriller centered around the Manson Family Murders. The cast is crazy as it stars Leonardo DiCaprio, Brad Pitt, Margot Robbie, Kurt Russell, and Al Pacino all in one movie. Expect another Oscar contender from Tarantino.
7. Aladdin (May 24th): One of three Disney remakes coming this year, Aladdin will have a lot of expectations. Directed by Guy Ritchie, the film will feature a cast of relatively unknowns and Will Smith as the iconic Genie. It’s going to be weird seeing anyone else play the Genie other than the late great Robin Williams, but you know for a fact Will Smith will bring it.
6. Godzilla: King of the Monsters (May 31st): Coming out 5 years after the original, Godzilla: King of the Monsters is the sequel to 2014’s Godzilla and the third movie in the Legendary’s Monster-Verse. After complaints that the first film didn’t have enough action, the trailer clearly shows that won’t be the case this time. Godzilla will be taking on multiple monsters and it going to be glorious.
5. Spider-Man: Far From Home (July 5th): The sequel to Spider-Man: Homecoming, Far From Home will be the fifth appearance of Tom Holland’s Spider-Man in the MCU. What makes this sequel so mysterious is the last time we saw Spidey, he didn’t feel so good (RIP). We’ll get the answers hopefully soon.
4. Toy Story 4 (June 21st): Despite ending on the absolute perfect note in Toy Story 3, Woody, Buzz, and the whole gang will be back once again. Considering the lowest rated movie from the Toy Story trilogy is Toy Story 3 with a 98% on Rotten Tomatoes, safe to say expectations shall be high. But I can’t help but think, is this necessary?
3. Star Wars: Episode IX (December 20th): While The Last Jedi and Solo have not gone over well with Star Wars fans, there’s still no denying that the still untitled Episode 9 will bring the hype. All of the major players are expected to be back, including Mark Hamill as Luke Skywalker and the late great Carrie Fisher as Princess Leia, in what is expected to be the end of the Skywalker saga.
2. The Lion King (July 19th): As Disney continues to remake their animated classics, they will attempt to remake probably their greatest film of all-time in The Lion King. In the trailer you see above, the CGI looks utterly spectacular to the point they look life-like. With an A-list cast voicing the animals, expectations are gonna be through the roof.
1. Avengers: Endgame (April 26th): Yep, you knew this was coming. In what will be the 22nd movie in the Marvel Cinematic Universe and a grad-finale of sorts, Avengers: Endgame might be the most anticipated movie in cinema history.
After being defeated by Thanos in Infinity War, Earth’s Mightiest Heroes will try and rally together one final time to defeat the Mad Titan. If this is Iron Man’s, Captain America’s, and Thor’s final run, everyone in the world will be at the movies to witness it. This movie will bring joy, this movie will bring tears, and this movie will be nothing like you or I have ever seen before.
-Steve Santoro (SVS_1993)
You love fantasy sports but getting tired of the same thing every year? Stop it. Join ThriveFantasy today where you bet on only the top tier players and gain points based on prop bets. Sign up today using the Couch Guy Sports link NOW & get in on the action. (Must deposit a minimum of $10 upon signup and ThriveFantasy will MATCH that $10)