Another week of college football is in the books and another perennial powerhouse fell from the unbeaten along with it.
Kansas State shook up the playoff landscape when it took down undefeated Oklahoma, 48-41. And they might have ruined the Big 12’s chances of getting into the final four.
The Sooners dropped all of the way to No. 10 in the latest AP poll and will have an uphill battle the rest of the way to make the playoff.
But the AP poll doesn’t matter. The only ranking that matters is this one so let’s get right to it.
- Ohio State (8-0) – There’s no denying it, the Buckeyes are the class of college football right now. Ohio State has destroyed every opponent it’s faced and it continued that trend this week with a 38-7 shellacking of Wisconsin. Granted it was a Wisconsin team that had lost all confidence after being upset by Illinois the week prior. However, it was still an extremely impressive win.
- LSU (8-0) – I seriously considered putting LSU at the top spot this week. They’ve the best resume in college football right now with three impressive wins against Top 25 teams in Texas, Florida and Auburn. LSU is a legitimate threat this season to knock off Alabama and reclaim the SEC crown this season.
- Alabama (8-0) – Speaking of the Crimson Tide, I have them at No. 3 this week. Alabama has arguably the best receiving core in all of college football this season. Nick Saban’s squad is still a well oiled machine, but it’ll all come down to Tua Tagovailoa’s health heading into the clash with LSU in two weeks time.
- Clemson (8-0) – Trevor Lawrence and the defending National Champions check in at No. 4 this week. I have a feeling we are sleeping on just how good Clemson really is simply because they don’t play anyone good.
- Penn State (8-0) – What’s up Nittany Nation! Penn State is the most underrated team in the country and it’s not even close. James Franklin and company have put together a really strong season that’s consisted of quality wins against Iowa, Michigan State and Michigan. Yes, the same Michigan team that beat the doors off of Notre Dame this weekend. KJ Hamler is one of the best wide receivers in the country and don’t be surprised if he makes massive plays down the stretch for Penn State on the national stage.
- Oregon (7-1) – Now we get into the one loss teams and I’m going with the Ducks at No. 7. Not only are their uniforms amazing, their play on the field has been equally great. They’ve strung together seven consecutive wins since the opening loss to Auburn and I’m beginning to they have a real shot at the playoff if they run the table.
- Florida (7-1) – I don’t have much to add about the Gators as they had a bye week. Solid football team.
- Oklahoma (7-1) – I’m not jumping off the Sooner bandwagon after their first lost of the season. They do this every year and lose to some one they’ve absolutely no business losing to. However, they still have Jalen Hurts and they still have Ceedee Lamb. They’ll win the Big 12 too.
- Auburn (6-2) – Auburn has two losses this season, but two quality losses to Florida and LSU. I believe in Bo Nix. Auburn isn’t a playoff team but they’re easily a Top 10 team.
- Georgia (7-1) – Yuck. There really weren’t any other teams to round out the Top 10 this week so here’s Georgia.
Stay tuned later this week for my college football preview of the best match-ups this weekend.