3 Up and 3 Down: Patriots Free Agency
The Patriots are 2 weeks into free agency, and they have made their huge splash. The brought in and brought back a total of 22 players since free agency started. That is incredibly out of character for them. However, Belichick has never had this amount of money to spend either. He knew who he wanted and he went after them right in the first hour of free agency. Here are the top 3 and worst 3 moves they made over the last 2 weeks.
3. Ted Karras – Ted Karras was not a terrible signing overall, but it was a panic signing. It seems like the minute they thought David Andrews was gone, they brought back the closest thing they new in Karras. He is a fantastic backup option at center and guard, and if there are any injuries he will step in without missing a beat. The player itself is not a terrible move, but now they are paying 2 potential starters at the center position.
2. Henry Anderson – Anderson will also most likely be a great fit along the front 7 for the Patriots. He is a great 3-4 defensive end, but it was just a weird day 1 signing. He feels like a guy that may have been available today if they wanted him, but they saw someone they wanted and went after him. There were a lot of defensive lineman available, and I thought they might go after a former Pro Bowler bill loves in Jurrell Casey, but Anderson was their guy.
1. Deatrich Wise – My first reaction with this one was “why so much money?” They are paying Wise 22 million over 4 years, and he really hasn’t had the production to back it up. Wise is still young and has room to grow, and Bill must see something in him. I thought they would let him walk this offseason, He’s never had more than 50 tackles in a season, and 5 sacks in his rookie year was his career high to date. He’s been a nice spark plug from time to time making big plays in the backfield, but never consistent enough to get a long term deal.
3. Kendrick Bourne – Bourne could be exactly what the Patriots need at the receiver position. He is a guy who has shown flashes through his career of being a really good receiver. He is not a true number 1, but with all the other additions they made on offense he can definitely become a playmaker. If the attention is on the 2 tight ends, Edelman, and Agholor, Bourne will definitely find himself open. He is gong to quietly be the best pickup they made.
2. David Andrews – A center that leads your offensive line the way David Andrews does is one of the most valuable things you can ask for. He makes all the calls and signals across the offensive line, and is an incredible locker room presence. The year Andrews was out, the line fell apart without him. He felt like the most important UFA the team had to bring back, and we are all glad they did.
1. Jonnu Smith – People may be all over Hunter Henry, and for good reason. But Smith is going to be the real crown jewel of this free agency. He is such a versatile player, and that is a terrifying thing for defenses when Josh McDaniels gets a player like that. They are going to move him all over the offense and create mismatches everywhere he goes. If Jonnu stays healthy, there’s a good chance he has himself a Pro Bowl season with the Patriots.
-Jake Kobierski (@TheRealKobe83)